Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Johnny Roughcut 1991-2008

Johnny Roughcut (Santana's Magician X Hide-A-Way's Fire Eyes)

It was with deep sadness I learned from Diane Wentz that the wonderful gelding Johnny Roughcut died this winter after a colic that was irreparable following findings in surgery.

We were fortunate to have Johnny with us for several years- he was a tall handsome coppery chestnut gelding with a perfect diamond shaped star- hence his name. After his rides he would "talk" to you all about it and flap his lips until his peppermint came. Johnny was one of the kindest horses I ever met and a complete gentlemen in every aspect of his demeanor and generous with his affection to his riders.

His final home was Wentz Stables in Pennsylvania and there he had a big fan club- in addition to ours. We watched him and cheered for Johnny and his new riders & I always sought him out at shows to bring him a mint and give him a hug. The Wentzes gave him the best of care and attention and most importantly their hearts. Johnny, til we meet again may you gallop in green fields. No one had a bigger heart than you. Godspeed.

2 comments:

Creggan said...

As a former owner of Johnny I send condolences. I just saw this. My mother Eliza Gray, owned him as her driving horse. I am sorry for your loss, he was a good boy, and will be missed.

-Christina Gray

Unknown said...

I have just read of Johnny's passing sent to me by my daughter. As my tears flow, I think of the wonderful horse I was fortunate enough to have had in my life and the life of our family. I know he will be missed by all who were fortunate enough to have known him.

Eliza Gray