Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Deep Freeze!

It's been a couple days of preparation, unhooking hoses, checking windows for seals and drafts, giving extra hay and making sure everyone has fresh running open water and so far so good! Our barn has not dipped inside below 35 degrees which is wonderful and the horses' exercise and work can continue business as usual. A routine is important with horses and keeping a regular turnout, feeding and work schedule is your best friend during crazy weather fluctuations.

The worst business has been outside. We got a couple hours of rain on Tuesday night that flash froze later in the evening and left a glaze on everything out doors. Everyone is watching their step & it looks like that won't melt anytime soon.

I learned that I fumble unloading grain sacks with winter gloves on- is it just me? Am I the only one who can't get the usual grip and positioning to get the job done? Is this a phenomenon? Probably just me and a habit. In the end I ditched the gloves and had it unloaded in half the time. Think of those August days where we hear "Ugh it's so humid! It's too hot to ride!" haha

Have a great day. Stay warm.

No comments: